On thanksgiving two weeks ago Red Hat release an early version (0.1) of a GTK client for use with the spice protocol. The current version is only at 0.2 so its still considered unstable. There are also python bindings available for the spice gtk client which means you can expect to see something integrated into virt-manager relatively soon.
Red Hat also provided a spec file which was used to build the rpms at the bottom of this post. Unfortunately the spec file only allows for rpms on Fedora 14 and later due to required packages being unavailable for Fedora 13 and earlier. Below is a short demonstration on using the new spice-gtk client using the rpm method of installation.
As explained above, I’ve only tried building a package for Fedora 14 but you can try building the package manually for your distribution if you wish. The spec provided by Red Hat builds the following packages
spice-gtk-0.2-1.fc14.x86_64.rpm spice-gtk-devel-0.2-1.fc14.x86_64.rpm spice-gtk-python-0.2-1.fc14.x86_64.rpm spice-gtk-tools-0.2-1.fc14.x86_64.rpm
The following packages are the minimum that needs to be installed to start using the spice gtk client. Install the packages using yum in the following order
Start your virtual machine with support for spice protocol. For more information on this see this post.
To use this spice gtk client use the following command to connect to your kvm virtual machine started using instructions from this post.
spicy –h localhost –p 5930
If you’re familiar with the command line based spice client you’ll notice that the options are identical. You can replace localhost in the above command with the ip address of your kvm host.
When running this client I ran into a bug where the client would crash shortly after starting complaining about the Display giving a message like that shown below.
reds_handle_main_link: reds_show_new_channel: channel 1:0, connected successfully, over Non Secure link GSpice-Message: main channel: opened reds_main_handle_message: net test: latency 66.437000 ms, bitrate 1950476190 bps (1860.119047 Mbps) GSpice-Message: create window (#0) (spicy:3992): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `SpiceDisplay' has no property named `Statusbar' (spicy:3992): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `SpiceDisplay' has no property named `Toolbar' reds_show_new_channel: channel 6:0, connected successfully, over Non Secure link reds_show_new_channel: channel 5:0, connected successfully, over Non Secure link reds_show_new_channel: channel 4:0, connected successfully, over Non Secure link red_dispatcher_set_cursor_peer: handle_dev_input: cursor connect reds_show_new_channel: channel 2:0, connected successfully, over Non Secure link red_dispatcher_set_peer: handle_dev_input: connect handle_new_display_channel: jpeg disabled handle_new_display_channel: zlib-over-glz disabled reds_show_new_channel: channel 3:0, connected successfully, over Non Secure link inputs_link: reds_disconnect: red_dispatcher_shutdown_cursor_peer: red_dispatcher_shutdown_peer: handle_dev_input: cursor disconnect handle_dev_input: disconnect Segmentation fault (core dumped)
I thought I’d post the rpms anyway so that you can start playing with them and maybe have better luck than I did.
As usual please post comments and questions on your experience using the new spice-gtk client.
See the following link for working version of spice-gtk client. Post also includes rpms